- Main interest:
- red-lavender tones in autumn
- Soil & Exposure:
- full sun. Dry to medium moisture, all type of soils.
- Growth type:
- purplish-green, August to September
- blue green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4: -34.4 ° C (-30 ° F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 6 ft (1.8 m) width: 2 ft (0.6 m)
- borders, screens, hedge
This tall grass is native to much of the Great Plains and prairie regions of central North America. Deer, Drought, Black Walnut, Air Pollution tolerant, big bluestem will also thrive in low nutrients, sandy or heavy soils. Stems emerge blue gray in the spring, mature to green with shade of red in summer to finally turn red-lavender in fall.