Panicum virgatum ‘Heavy metal’.
Heavy Metal Switch Grass
- Main interest:
- remains attractive through winter, strong vertical design element
- Soil & Exposure:
- full sun, moist well-drained soil, adapts to a wide range of soil conditions, drought tolerant once established
- Growth type:
- green, late summer to mid fall
- blue-grey to blue-purple
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4: -34.4 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 5 ft (1.5 m) width: 3 ft (0.9 m)
Stiff, metallic powdery blue blades distinguish this native North American switch grass, and give it its distinctive swishing sound when moved by the breeze. Green flowers, which are good for fresh or dried arrangements, bloom in late summer to mid fall, and can grow to 5 ft tall. Leaf tips turn burgundy in the fall. Blades remain upright, providing strong vertical accent for plantings. Of interest late summer to winter.