Clematis ‘Nelly Moser’
Nelly Moser Clematis
- Main interest:
- profusion of impressively large, open face pink star shaped flowers
- Soil & Exposure:
- full sun to partial shade, average, moist, well drained soil
- pale pink with carmine midstripe, early summer
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4: -34.4 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 10ft (3m) width: 10ft (3m)
- walls, containers, planters, borders, trellises, pergolas
‘Nelly Moser’ is covered with showy large pale pink flowers with carmine midstripes in summer. Blooms come primarily from the previous year’s stems in late spring, but also occurs in a second flush later in the summer on the new growth. Flowers are open-faced and large at 6-8″. Flowers give way to attractive seed heads. Resistant to both deer and black walnut, Nelly Moser is strong and adaptable, and very easy to grow. Pruning Group: 2.
Group 1 – Flowers only on old wood (previous year). Prune after spring flowering.
Group 2 – Flowers on both old and new wood. Little pruning should be done for woody-stemmed members of this Group. If cut to the ground or pruned in fall or spring, flowering will be reduced or delayed, but not prevented.
Group 3 – Flowers only on new wood. Can be cut to the ground in fall or spring.