Forsythia x intermedia.
- Main interest:
- profusion of large bright yellow flowers bloom in very early spring
- Soil & Exposure:
- full sun to partial shade, medium moist soil
- yellow, March to April
- green, deciduous
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5: -28.9 °C (-20 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 9 ft (2.7 m) width: 9 ft (2.7 m)
Native to Ireland, Border Forsythia is a deciduous shrub with both upright and over-arching stems. It is grown for its profuse, early flowering. Masses of squarish brilliant yellow flowers last for several weeks, March to April. Grows to 9 ft in height and width and makes a good border or hedge.