Clematis ‘Ernest Markham’
Ernest Markham Clematis
- Soil & Exposure:
- full sun to partial shade, moist but well drained soil
- Growth type:
- twining climber/rambler, fast growth
- large, open, magenta
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4: -34.4 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 10ft (3m) width: 3ft (1m)
- trellises, arbors, walls, containers, planters, across shrubs
Clematis Ernest Markham is covered in velvety magenta flowers with chocolate anthers. An award winning clematis, it has been a gardeners favourite since 1926. Train up a trellis, or drape across a wall, fence or arbour. Well suited to containers, or rambling through through medium to tall shrubs in Asian, rustic or cottage gardens. Pruning Group: 3.
Group 1 – Flowers only on old wood (previous year). Prune after spring flowering.
Group 2 – Flowers on both old and new wood. Little pruning should be done for woody-stemmed members of this Group. If cut to the ground or pruned in fall or spring, flowering will be reduced or delayed, but not prevented.
Group 3 – Flowers only on new wood. Can be cut to the ground in fall or spring.